Monday, September 3, 2007

Mark 13 - Not One Stone

August 24, 2007  2:25-4:00


If those of us who walked with Jesus were to be honest, all of us would admit there were many things Jesus said that we didn’t believe.  Its not that we didn’t want to believe him, it’s just that some of those things sounded so outlandish and farfetched that we couldn’t believe them.  


You also have to understand that until the resurrection we didn’t realize he truly was the Son of God.  Yes, I admit Peter once called him that as we walked down the road, but Peter was always saying the first thing that came to his mind.  Odds are at least half of what he said would be right.  


For me, probably the hardest thing to believe He said on the last week of his life.  Of his earthly life, that is.  We had just entered Jerusalem, and what an entrance that was.  I felt like a Roman conqueror back from a victorious campaign.  People were waving the palm branches and shouting “Hosanna.”  I doubt I’ll ever experience anything like that again until heaven.  


We had just left the temple, which by all accounts was one of the most beautiful buildings in the civilized world, and one of us, I don’t remember who, commented on its matchless grandeur.  All of a sudden Jesus stops.  He just stops right where he was was standing.  He scans the scene, and as he does I noticed, and I think the other disciples did as well, He gets this sad look in his eye.  I was about to ask him what was wrong when he makes the most incredible and unbelievable statement. 


“Do you see these wonderful buildings?” he asked.  We nodded.  How could we miss them they loomed right in front of us.  


“There won’t be one stone on top of another that won’t be torn down,” he finished.  All we could do was stand and stare when he said that.  Most of you probably have never seen Herod’s temple, but the place was absolutely amazing.  Herod spared no expense.  His workman hauled massive stones and set them into place.  I found it hard to believe even an earthquake could dislodge them.  


None of us really believed those words of Jesus.  Was He mistaken?  Was He speaking literally or was this some special story with a hidden meaning?  For my part I couldn’t help looking at Jesus, looking at the massive structure, then looking back at Jesus again.  From the look in his eyes and the weighty tone of his voice I thought He really believed it, but I couldn’t.  


Now most of you know the rest of the story.  What Jesus said did come true.  It came exactly true.  The Jews rebelled for the last time.  The Romans had had enough.  When they marched on Jerusalem its a grace of God that any of his chosen people survived.  The soldiers were so furious for the death of their own men that they torched the temple and tore it apart stone by stone.  It’s said that the gold from the temple melted and ran down forming lines and puddles between the creases of the blocks.  Anything not yet torn asunder was then stripped apart by the greedy soldiers.  Not one rock was left standing on another.  


So what is my point other than I should have believed Jesus?  That is exactly my point.  Every word I heard him speak was true.  The times I doubted and the times I disbelieved he proved me wrong over and over again.  Its one thing to find a prophecy about the world coming true.  It’s another thing to find a prophecy for one’s life coming true. 


What Jesus said about rebellion and disobedience, it’s true.  If you fight against God, if you disregard his plan for your life, if you choose to do only what you want to do- you’ll find only sorrow, pain, and despair.  Yet, if you give your life to God, if you’re willing to suffer reproach for the sake of his name, if you throw yourself with joyous abandon into the work of his ministry- you may suffer, but you will find peace, joy, and contentment never before offered.  


Jesus’ words are true. Listen to them.  Heed their warnings.  Reap their blessings.  Love the Savior, and put your faith in his faultless word.  

No comments: