Monday, September 3, 2007

Mark 12 - No Greater Love

August 23, 2007 11:05-1:00


A bit of advice.  Never try to stump the Creator of the Universe.  I did, and instead of receiving a simple answer I ended up entrusting him with my soul. How’s that for turnabout is fair play?


Jesus had been the default topic of conversation among the scribes for almost three years.  Before that had been John the Baptist, but even his obvious eccentricities paled in comparison with those of Christ.  


For hours we debated the words he shared.  Some rang true.  Others seemed so unbelievable.  We all decided that he was either the most religious Jew in history, comparable with Father Abraham, Moses, and Elijah; or he was the worst heretic of all time.  Many leaned toward the later.  I think they disliked him not so much because his preaching rang false, but because it threatened to reveal the hypocrisy in our own lives.  How would it be if those professing to know the law better than all others were shown to be wrong by a mere Nazarene carpenter?  


As a result we almost began a simple type of competition, each scribe attempting to concoct some sort of question which would absolutely stump this false prophet.  Many thought and pondered for several weeks on end trying to find the hardest question imaginable.  Other scribes met together in small groups hoping that a multitude of minds could better assemble the impossible question.  


When the questions were created and every possible solution worked out of them, certain scribes would go out to find Jesus.  Not all were able to approach the master with their questions.  I wonder if some used crowds as the excuse for failing to ask Jesus a question whose answer would have been obvious to even a Roman lowlife.  The scribe who were able to pose the question never received an obvious answer.  Jesus always either presented a solution which had not been considered, or he turned the question back on those asking and thus making them look like fools in the process.  


I must admit although I was still quite unsure whether Jesus ought to be believed or not, I could not help but admire his resilience.  It was not as though he answered two or three questions well, he answered dozens of thoughts that the brightest minds in Judaism had assembled.  That could not have been mere luck or a fool’s wit.  


I never tried my hand at the questioning.  I guess I just figured I’d leave that to more intelligent men than I.  One day as I strolled toward the temple I heard word all along the street that Jesus had returned to Jerusalem.  We should not have been surprised as the time of the Passover drew near.  I couldn’t resist finally seeing the man with my own eyes and hearing his words firsthand.  Before long he arrived a small entourage of disciples and followers trailing along behind.  No sooner did I arrive than I also noticed two dozen of my colleagues had shared my idea.  From the looks on their faces I could see a readiness to attempt stumping the prophet.  


When Jesus stopped to rest the scribes swarmed.  They let loose with the most difficult questions their minds could conceive.  What shocked me was how hopeful they were that this man would fail.  They listened with nervous excitement to see the man stumble in his answer, but he never did.  Each response carried great wisdom and simple eloquence.  Never had I heard a man speak this way before.  


After several questions and answers there the conversation lulled for a moment and I found myself speaking.


“What is the greatest commandment?”  


I shocked myself that I had asked.  Though my peers nodded approvingly that, yes, this was indeed a difficult question; in my heart I knew I had not asked to stump this man. I had asked because I believed he would know the correct answer.  For a long moment our eyes met. He seemed to peer into me, searching my heart.  


“To love the Lord our God with all your heart, mind, and strength.  And the second is like this, to love your neighbor as yourself.”  


My heart thrilled.  He hadn’t chosen some fine detail of the Mosaic law.  He hadn’t even chosen one of the ten commandments.  In a few words he’d laid out for each of us a lifelong challenge, namely loving God with every ounce of our being through that same love loving others.  


I couldn’t believe the response.  Though I would never have known before I asked, it was the answer my heart wanted to hear.  At that moment my life changed.  From then on I had purpose and cause for all my learning.  Though most my colleagues shook their head head as though they would have said the exact same thing, the few of us who nodded in sincere agreement realized that this carpenter was no mere man.  He held God’s wisdom because he was God.  


Several days after they put Jesus to death, I saw him again as I met with those who believed his words.  From then on I knew He was God, and since that day I’ve tried to love him as God deserves, with all my heart, mind, and strength.  

No comments: